Saturday 29 January 2011

a bowl of cheerios..makes everything better

This entry may be hard to follow....I am at home now...eating a bowl of cheerios after one of the most eventful days! I don't know where to start, but I will start at the end and make my way to the morning and afternoon..I don't like periods...I feel like a blog should be a stream of consciousness..so this shall be a stream...flowing from the pits of my brain....I just left from spending a great deal of time with my friends in Kingston. It has been a day of losing and finding certain items. Earlier in the night when we were out...I was jumping...I love to jump...and my phone hopped from my pocket and landed onto the floor of the Kings Tun...Which is/and is becoming our favorite meeting place. As we left I realized my new mobile was gone and immediately headed back to find it...but I could not find it and I proceeded to join the group to our final destination.....I was informed that Sarah Elala called my phone and some interesting characters answered saying they had it and would meet us at Oceana at 11:10!!! So I was uber excited and we raced to Oceana to meet them, but 1 hour later no one came out with my phone! I was standing in the cold waiting for my mobile...asking several people to call it...one girl told me that I was a suspicious character and she would not call my mobile for me...lol...these London girls seriously think that someone is always trying to rob/take advantage of them, but I was honestly trying to find my phone. Even the security around me was not allowing me to make a call with their phone. It was very weird and disheartening, but nonetheless...I waited patiently for an hour and no one showed up...so I met back up with my friends told them the news and now I am hoping that I will be able to get in touch with those people who have my phone today...it was one of the weirdest things...I feel like there are a lot of sketchy people in this area so people are always on the defense when it comes to human to human interactions...one girl did call my phone...and I left a message...so we will see where it goes...I am hoping/praying that I will get a hold of them tomorrow...
But the earlier part of the day was magnificent. It started at 8:30am! I went downstairs to have a banana and some granola for breakfast and all three of my newly purchased bananas were gone. I need to speak to my landlady about this...because she was so quick to mention that I was on my own for buying groceries, but yet her children...or even "SHE" is devouring my bananas! Ha-ha...the banana muncher! I will find them soon...
I made my way to the bus stop and headed towards Perryhn road campus to be met by a touring bus that was taking the whole study abroad group to Brighton, England! Someone described it as being the "JERSEY SHORE" of England.  Brighton, England was a beautiful area that had a very enchanting beach...the water was crystal clear....the pebbles were...pebbles....one of the highlights of our tour occurred when we visited the Royal Pavilion. This structure was designed by John Nash, who also designed the Buckingham Palace...but the Royal Pavilion had a very different composition. The outside had a very Indian essence surrounding the whole structure while the inside of the palace oozed of "Chinese Disney"......which was spoken from the mouth of our tour guide.....hmmm...I am trying to remember the name of the royal person who would spend most of his time here...but I can only remember his description...as follows: he used this place to escape, which any visitor would realize if they were invited to his Royal Pavilion...the inside of the building seeped with 3D wallpaper that gave the illusion of things being deeper and wider...pushing the evidence of being pushed or sunken into a new space....he had many mistresses and illegitimate children...but he never had an heir to his throne...a ton of pedestrians would throw stones at his carriage because of all the pounds he used to make his getaway home....Grr...the name escapes me, but I will definitely be going back to the Pavilion in the summer time...because it would be so much nicer to walk around and investigate the narrow streets and corners of the town....which had so much character....there was a very bohemian or "alternative" section of Brighton...and there was also a very "Posh" section of Brighton with all of the chain shopping that you would expect in America....but the alternative section was a rich area to walk around, smell the great food, peek into the different shops, and marvel at the lifestyle...the energy....and the zest of the locals. Yes. There is a zest.
I am really excited about visiting a church tomorrow….I have been in contact with them for a few days, so this shall be fun. I don’t have an alarm since I don’t have my phone, but I usually hear the family waking up in the wee hours of the night, so I am sure I will wake up on time. The service starts at 10am. So I will have plenty of time.  I feel like a piece of me was lost today…”MY PHONE” but these manmade items are not a part of me...But I now feel a tiny disconnect from the new friends that I was starting to make…alas…I will finish this bowl of cheerios. Wake up. And it will all be better.
 P.S...Heather Burkeen would have loved the Architecture...I wonder if she knows John Nash...

No comments:

Post a Comment